On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 15:06 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> >   Yeah, general discovery.  From the top of my head:
> > - Pulseaudio sinks and sources
> > - libvirt instances for virt-manager
> > - VNC desktops for Vinagre
> > - local web pages (think SOHO router config page) for zeroconf
> >   enabled Webbrowsers like Epiphany
> > - remote disk management (udisks)
> > - local FTP sites and WebDAV shares shown in nautilus places
> >
> >   And this is all blocked by default Fedora firewall settings (5353/udp).
> >

> I'm confused - are any of the above intended to be used/available by
> anyone who is NOT experienced enough to know what iptables are and how
> to manage them? B/c I think it's a bit unlikely.

Why not?

PulseAudio lets you play audio from any system on any other system. You
don't need to be some kind of nerd to want to do that.

Lots of people need to get to their wireless router config page. In
fact, *everyone* should, if only to change the password.

And there's nothing unusual about browsing the local network, which
avahi enables without the need to set up NFS or Samba shares.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey