On Wed, 2023-09-06 at 22:33 +0100, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-08-25 at 12:42 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > The tl;dr: is I want to add a mDNS server that reshares the public
> > firmware update metadata from the LVFS on your LAN. The idea is that
> > rather than 25 users in an office downloading the same ~2MB file from
> > the CDN every day, the first downloads from the CDN and the other 24
> > download from the first machine. All machines still download the
> > [tiny] jcat file from the CDN still so we know the SHA256 to search
> > for and verify.
>
> I realize I'm late to the conversation, but what about compressing the
> metadata using zchunk, like we do for the DNF metadata?  Assuming we
> keep a cache of the file locally and that changes (as a percentage of
> the whole file) are minimal, this allows you to download only the
> differences.  The only requirement is that the CDN supports HTTP range
> requests.

And, of course, after posting, I realize that I'd missed a chunk of the
thread where you explained that you're not a fan of deltas.  FWIW,
zchunk doesn't do static deltas, so the only file you need to worry
about on the server/CDN is the latest one.

If this is something you'd be interested in, I'd be happy to help get
it working.  If not, I'm happy to fade back into the background. :)

Jonathan