> Could you do some compare and contrast with cobbler?

Sure, Forester is focused on image-based provisioning it does not (and probably
never will) support traditional RPM installation like Cobbler. This is an
experiment targeted on those who would like to apply cloud provisioning
workflow in their own bare-metal (or virtualized) datacenter. It currently
supports "liveimg" Anaconda provisioning and support for
"ostreesetup/ostreecontainer" is planned. Instead of managing repositories of
any kind, you just upload an image into Forester and deploy it, similarly to
IaaS clouds.

Now, it might not be clear what these features of Anaconda do so let me
explain. With various tools (for example osbuilder or lorax), you can create a
Fedora OS image that is in various formats (AMI, qcow2, raw and ISO). The last
mentioned is actually a bootable Anaconda-based installer that contains a
tarball with the OS, Anaconda in this case partitions disks and copy the files.
In case of OSTree it is similar but the content is not a tarball but a OSTree
repository.

> Because what I would really like to see is more people helping out with
> cobbler development.

I spent over a decade maintaining Satellite 6 provisioning capabilities which
take similar approach as Cobbler (PXE, DHCP and repositories management),
however, I want to explore a different workflow which is not based on DHCP
management (which does not work with IPv6), not based on PXE (UEFI HTTP Boot
leverages TCP/HTTP/TLS stack in modern firmware) and not based on any kind of
repository management.

Forester is different, it has no ambitions to replace Cobbler or Satellite 6 it
is purely just an Anaconda image deployer over network. One of the main theme
is that Forester is easy to configure - no need to set up PXE, DHCP is optional
and thanks to Redfish and UEFI HTTP Boot feature, it is extremely simple to use.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
lzap