On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 5:39 PM Sérgio Basto <ser...@serjux.com> wrote:

> Maybe we should have a flag in the src.fp.o package for the maintainer
> to request a PR before committing to have a window for review, or like
> me, the maintainer would like to not be bothered with things that
> proven package can do by itself .
>
> Another thing is some proven packager which wants force the move to
> autothings , which I don't like use it, ATM, because in my opinion
> still have many problems .

I think there is a difference between changes that have
a formal change proposal (I am thinking something like
removing make from the buildroot, which required many
packages to add a BR: make, and for which PP's did a
lot of the work for some packages), for which packagers
were given a sufficient period of time to make the change
on their own, and "philosophical"/"syntactical sugar"
changes, such as the current "autothings", for which
there is not an approved change for all packages
(FD: I would object to making the "autothings"
mandatory).

If a proven packager changes the syntactical sugar
without agreement by the current packager via a PR
they have exceeded their mandate, and should be
(first) asked to revert and formally apologize, and if
they repeat such, removed from the PP list (fool
me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on
me).

FTBFS issues are, admittedly, complicated, but
such updates SHOULD be via a PR.  If a PP wants
to claim they cannot follow that process, they need
to demonstrate that a particular packager is not
responsive (there is a process for that) rather
then just deciding themselves it is too much trouble.