* Jonathan Wakely:

>> Missing an include directory isn't necessarily the problem though, it
>> is the missing headers that aren't present when they are included
>> that would be - and that should trigger a build error for the missing
>> file. What advantage does failing on this warning provide that the
>> failure on the include file missing doesn't?
>
> Typically, yes, I'd expect a failure. But it's possible for code to do:
>
> #if __has_include(<foo.h>)
> # include <foo.h>
> // use features in that header
> #else
> // roll your own inferior version
> #endif

I can see this might be a problem.

I wouldn't object if someone submitted a change proposal for this, but
they have to do the necessary work (full distribution rebuild to assess
the impact of the change, preferably with an instrumented/wrapped
toolchain to catch silently miscompiled autoconf probes).

Thanks,
Florian