Lately I'm working on the Bodhi development environment, and I reached
a point where I noticed rabbitmq was not working inside my current,
Fedora 39-based version of it.

This appears to be because rabbitmq 3.11 simply does not work with
Erlang 26. Fedora 39 has erlang 26 and rabbitmq 3.11. See:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/76286720

I notice there were "Self-Contained" changes proposed for Erlang 24 and
25, but no Change was proposed for Erlang 26. Those changes probably
shouldn't have been listed as "self-contained", but as usual, the
"self-contained" vs. "system-wide" distinction is a vague and
unsatisfactory one. Those Changes did correctly consider the impact of
Erlang major version updates on its dependencies, e.g. from the 24
Change:

** Upgrade outdated packages:
*** {{package|riak|Riak}}
**** {{package|riak|Riak}} has has been retired. We have to re-add it
back.
*** {{package|ejabberd|Ejabberd}}
*** {{package|rabbitmq-server|RabbitMQ}}.
*** {{package|couchdb|CouchDB}}
** {{package|erlang-rebar3|rebar3}}
*** Provide/adjust RPM macros for rebar3.

and from the 25 Change:

** Upgrade outdated packages:
*** {{package|riak|Riak}}
**** {{package|riak|Riak}} has has been retired. We have to re-add it
back.
*** {{package|ejabberd|Ejabberd}}
*** {{package|rabbitmq-server|RabbitMQ}}.
*** {{package|couchdb|CouchDB}}
**** {{package|riak|CouchDB}} has has been retired. We have to re-add
it back.
** {{package|erlang-rebar3|rebar3}}

However, no Change seems to have been proposed for Erlang 26, and
nobody seems to have considered the impact on dependent packages, at
least judging from the lack of any handling of rabbitmq.

Can we please avoid this circumstance in future by again using the
Change process and considering dependencies for any future major Erlang
bump? Thanks. It looks like we will need to update rabbitmq to 3.12 for
it to stand any chance of working in 39 or Rawhide. I will see if
that's a straightforward change next, and try to send a PR if so.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA