On 12/27/23 17:10, pgnd wrote:
If it works, I'd still wonder why md54 comes up fine. That entry is also
missing `level` and `num-devices`.

1st WAG ?

WAG?

/dev/md/54 is 'just' raid1, without an atypical spare

It's not. It's a raid5 without any spare just like md5. Only difference between the two is the metadata version, 1.1 vs. 1.2. And the partitions making up md54 have a bunch of additional entries like UUID_SUB as reported by `blkid`. More details in the discussion post.

raid5 & raid1+spare are less common.
whether autoassembly is smart enough to pick up the diffs without the explicit
spec in /etc/mdadm.conf?
again, dunno without trying.

I added `level` and `num-devices` to all entries in mdadm.conf and rebooted. It didn't change anything. Manual assembly still freezes the system as well.