On 2024-02-01 07:40, Sérgio Basto wrote:

I have an obvious answer is when the authors decide, in this case Xorg,
when Xorg decides that it will stop supporting X11, like happened to
Python2 or PHP5 and 7 or Gnome

In fact, it is something I've been thinking about, IMHO, downstream
shouldn't decide when software is deprecated or not like KDE and Red
HAt did , it's weird to me [1], although in RHEL we could have the
packages via EPEL, I think, and RHEL 10 is only in a year and a half

A lot of the people involved at different parts of the stack are just the same people wearing different hats.

Wayland and X.org are both part of freedesktop. Whatever maintenance is still happening on X.org is mostly being done by people who primarily work on Wayland. There isn't some kind of holy war going on between The Wayland Developers who want to kill X.org, and The X.org Developers who believe it is great and want to keep it. They're nearly all the same people, and they all want X.org to die. AFAIK there isn't anybody who is actually clamoring to *do the work of maintaining X.org upstream*. There are people who don't want it to die because Wayland doesn't yet have the features they need or the NVIDIA proprietary driver doesn't work well on Wayland or whatever, but AFAIK, none of those people is actually volunteering to maintain X.org long-term. If you look through https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/commits/master you will see the majority of commits are from people who also work on Wayland (and most of the commits are actually to Xwayland).

A lot of the same people who are the graphics stack maintainers for freedesktop.org are *also* involved in distribution efforts to move to Wayland. So it's not as simple as "distributions making the decisions instead of upstream". AFAIK, most of the upstream folks dearly *want* distributions to move off of X.org and onto Wayland, but they feel kind of obliged to continue minimal maintenance of X.org upstream until this move is further along.

Apologies if any of that is inaccurate, and I'm sure folks will correct me if so.
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA