Steve Cossette wrote:
> There's also a secondary thing that I feel hasn't been discussed here
> though: I know work is being done right now to isolate the x11
> components of plasma and add build-time options to strip out those
> components. What happens when we (as-in, the KDE sig) split off those
> components and now you got 10-15+ x11 packages people gotta install to
> make it all work?

Then we will submit 10-15+ *-x11 packages for review. It can be done.

Thanks to ld.so.conf.d, it is even possible to override libraries with
versions built with X11 support if it becomes necessary to rebuild, not just
add, some libraries. I have experience with that (see the now defunct
freetype-freeworld, only defunct because the patents either expired or were
declared to be covered by the OIN and the functionality is now part of the
normal freetype package). There are also packages in Fedora proper making
use of that linker feature, e.g., it is (or at least used to be) used by
CPU-optimized BLAS libraries.

        Kevin Kofler