On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 at 09:25, Major Hayden <ma...@mhtx.net> wrote:

> On 2/7/24 07:36, Petr Menšík wrote:
> > I am interested why two DHCP clients are required inside a single tool.
> > Why it could not use NetworkManager in both times, but with some
> > different settings? Maybe alternative service? If there is missing
> > ability to change behaviour, it may make sense to fix just that. Instead
> > of keeping another client maintained. Do we support any kind of images,
> > which would not have Network Manager present?
>
> One of the design goals of cloud-init is to use the dhcp client to get
> just enough networking done so the cloud instance can get to the cloud's
> metadata service. That metadata service provides information about
> network configuration, users, ssh keys, initial scripts, and more.

cloud-init isn't used just for cloud systems. I have seen it used for
similar reasons in enterprise locations where the configs are centrally
located and Network-Manager's late start either sets up things which need
to be replaced again post-install or might be 'blocked' without the info.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.