I did a more thorough review of all the failed ghc-* packages by
submitting scratch builds for every one of them (starting from this
list: https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mass-rebuild/f40-failures.html).

It turns out that there is only one "class" of modern C failure,
of this form:

  /tmp/ghc167_0/ghc_8.c: In function
‘zdreadlinezm1zi0zi3zi0zm5rmDmTTeacP6ZZL2WI5OaFEzdSystemziConsoleziReadlinezdreadlinezzm1zzi0zzi3zzi0zzm5rmDmTTeacP6ZZZZL2WI5OaFEzuSystemzziConsolezziReadlinezuexportDequoter’:
  /tmp/ghc167_0/ghc_8.c:68:17: error:
       error: assignment to ‘ffi_arg’ {aka ‘long unsigned int’} from ‘HsPtr’
{aka ‘void *’} makes integer from pointer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
         68 | *(ffi_arg*)resp = cret;
            |                 ^

  68 | *(ffi_arg*)resp = cret;
     |                 ^

I'll try Florian's suggested patch for ghc in a few minutes.

The other errors were not really related (except maybe OpenSSL ones).
They were:

* ghc-libxml-sax has non-generated code with missing headers

* ghc-th-orphans crashes ("Killed") during the build

* ghc-gi-gtk, ghc-gi-ostree seems to have a haskell code bug

* ghc-HsOpenSSL errors are significantly complex and need
  further investigation:
  https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=113537596

Several packages actually built fine so I have submitted proper builds
for those.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW