Hello all! This is my first time using a mailing list, but I want to do this
more often in the future :)

System76, makers of Linux computers and creators of Pop!_OS are currently
working on a desktop environment entirely built in rust, called COSMIC.
(https://github.com/pop-os/cosmic-epoch). They use and contribute to a lot of
base Linux development components written in rust, including:
Smithay: A wayland compositor library https://github.com/Smithay/smithay
Iced: A GUI library https://github.com/iced-rs/iced
WGPU: A graphics library https://github.com/gfx-rs/wgpu
ZBus: A rust D-Bus crate https://github.com/dbus2/zbus

I have been closely following its development and I am even dipping my toes in
rust for the first time to help contribute to its development.

I happen to enjoy Fedora quite a bit, and I use Silverblue on my main machine
myself, but in order to try COSMIC in its current state (and to create a test
environment for my code changes) I started creating Fedora atomic images with
the COSMIC desktop environment installed (see:
https://github.com/ryanabx/fedora-cosmic-atomic). The image is very primitive,
and simply compiles COSMIC components and puts the files where they need to be
in their various directories, no RPM packaging involved at this phase.

I would like to gauge interest in creating a COSMIC SIG for Fedora. The initial
major goals of such a group would be:

* Creating RPM packaging for COSMIC's components
* Laying out a plan for and promoting a Fedora COSMIC Spin
* Contributing to COSMIC development (for those interested, of course nothing
is required)
* Creating an accompanying Fedora COSMIC Atomic variant

If you happen to like rust, or are simply excited to see another desktop
environment join the space, share your interest!
If there is enough interest, I would suggest we then create a matrix group,
similar to what the Fedora KDE SIG has. I believe the KDE SIG uses an IRC
bridge as well, for those interested in using IRC.