Michael J Gruber wrote:
> numpy definitely needs to fix this. You cannot just go by bitsize and
> signedness. You never could and now you can't ;)

You actually had to before C99, where stdint.h was introduced. On some
platforms or compilers, such as MSVC, you still cannot use C99, only
C89/C90. (They support new C++ standards, but not new C standards.) So auto-
detecting one's own uint32_t is still the only way there.

Of course, what the software SHOULD do is to check for stdint.h and use that
if it exists, only defining its own type if it does not. But it is still not
a good idea for GCC to make this typically harmless warning an error by
default (and I have already complained about that, pointing out exactly this
use case, when the Change was discussed; sadly, my objection was dismissed).

        Kevin Kofler