On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 11:32 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Neal Gompa wrote:
> > Or 3. you could go ask for the feature to be exposed, because in
> > Wayland, we have more flexibility on how outputs are managed at all.
>
> Well, Plasma has had decades to get multiple outputs and scaling working. It
> has always been a lost cause. (At least for the one configuration I care
> about, which is mirrored displays stretched to display identical contents no
> matter the aspect ratio, for presentations and meetings.) The introduction
> of the XRandR X11 extension has been a godsend. Ever since, the one way to
> get things working has always been to talk to XRandR directly over the CLI
> and bypass Plasma entirely. Even fractional scaling on X11 is a non-issue if
> you just let X11 do the scaling, so that neither Plasma nor the applications
> even realize that their display is being scaled, let alone that it is being
> fractionally scaled with a different fraction horizontally and vertically.
> They just see a framebuffer of the size they want, and everything is scaled
> by X11/XRandR behind their back. So it just works. (Yes, it is blurry and/or
> some pixels are lost. But it does not look that bad in practice.)
> Unfortunately, this is not an option in Wayland because there is no X server
> that can do the scaling behind Plasma's back under Wayland.

Have you considered that perhaps the reason it wasn't possible before
was *because* of the X server?

I do think plenty of people would disagree with your statement about
how good it looks when you warp the display like you propose, but not
even bothering to ask for the feature at all guarantees that it won't
exist.

I know you're capable of filing requests for features on the KDE bug
tracker, so if this is something you believe you need, then you should
request it.

If you won't even bother with that much, I don't think I or anyone
else can take you seriously when it comes to your criticism of Plasma
Wayland, especially since upstream KDE is oriented around it and has
been for many years now.