> Those blobs were not in systemd,

that was not my point, nevertheless putting it this way: nobody knows.

For the example about compression methods you could generate your binary using
a piece of code, that can be reviewed (maybe using a fixed seed as inspired by
https://git.rootprojects.org/root/xz/commit/6e636819e8f070330d835fce46289a3ff72a7b89
 btw!). If you want to test systemd against a broken journal then can't you
commit a valid journal (that can be reviewed) and some code that generates a
corrupted one?

The obfuscated C code is a different problem - at least it can be
reviewed/audited and the maintainer can ask to simplify it.

My point is that everything should get reviewed before merge. I would hope
that, as a lesson learnt from this attack, no unreviewed "corrupted binary"
exist anymore in any project, since really, nobody knows what they actually
contain.