Dne 16. 05. 24 v 14:28 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 01:14:16PM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:
Proper solution is actually minimazing content of the minimal build root
Most of the packages in the buildroot are libraries, pulled in via
dependencies.

@buildsys-build group is:
Mandatory packages   : bash          # basic shell env
                      : bzip2         # source extraction
                      : coreutils     # basic shell env
                      : cpio          # source extraction
                      : diffutils     # source extraction
                      : fedora-release-common   # rpm environment
                      : findutils     # basic shell env
                      : gawk          # basic shell env
                      : glibc-minimal-langpack  # we want this to avoid other
langpacks
                      : grep          # basic shell env
                      : gzip          # source extraction
                      : info
                      : patch         # source extraction
                      : redhat-rpm-config  # rpm environment
                      : rpm-build          # rpm environment
                      : sed           # basic shell env
                      : shadow-utils
                      : tar           # source extraction
                      : unzip         # source extraction
                      : util-linux    # basic shell env
                      : which         # basic shell env. (command -v is more
portable, but meh.)
                      : xz            # source extraction

And there is this proposal to reduce the amount of compression libraries:

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/issues/1396

Actually, since RPM now uses `rpmuncompress` to extract the archives, it could also make sense to e.g. extract this utility into separate sub-package and move the extraction utilities out from the @buildsys-build. That would not reduce the the buildroot size at first, but get the dependencies to the right place for the start.

Vít

Out of this list, I see only three candidates for removal:

1. info. This is presumably present for /usr/sbin/install-info.
    It's a small package (360kB) and probably not worth the hassle to
    remove. On my system, 472 rpms provide info files, and if we remove
    it from the default set, we'd need to patch a huge amount of
    packages to add it back to make the builds work.

2. util-linux. This could be replaced by util-linux-core. This
    has a bunch of deps too, so it'd save some. util-linux has 95
    binaries, and while _most_ of them have little use in a constrained
    build environment, probably a few are used somewhere. So this
    would need some investigation.

3. shadow-utils. It was added in:

    commit 79e1728c1b9e9e98d2e38b1286d90d596f233a56
    Author: Jesse Keating <jkeat...@redhat.com>
    Date:   Tue Jan 15 15:31:27 2008 +0000

     Make sure shadow-utils makes it into a buildroot, or else mock will fail

    It's been a while, and I doubt we actually need it. Maybe we could
    drop that?

Zbyszek