Hi!

I'm an astrophysicist / developer (nowadays more developer than astrohysicist).
I mostly write code in C and Java (for work and for personal stuff). My main
job is maintaining and developing software for the Smithsonian's Submillimeter
Array (SMA) observatory atop Maunakea. Some of the software we develop can have
wider application. Hence I'm starting to spin off and open-source some of the
more universally applicable bits of our code.

For example, at the SMA (and the MIT Haystack 37-m telescope) we use a
customized version of the Naval Observatory Vector Astrometry Software (NOVAS)
C 3.1. I have fixed a bunch of bugs in it, cleaned up the API, added browseable
documentation, and extended its functionality with new features. My goal is to
make it easier and safer to use it, while promoting best practices also. This
is is how the SuperNOVAS package on GitHub was born, somewhat recently. It is a
light-weight high-precision C/C++ astrometry library capable of
sub-microarsecond position calculations. Thus is may serve as a component for
running observatories (or your backyard telescope), or a very precise
planetarium program, or any other astronomy software that needs to calculate
positions of celestial objects with accuracy. The source code and releases are
hosted at:

  https://github.com/Smithsonian/SuperNOVAS

And you can find more information, including the online documentation at the
project pages at:

 https://smithsonian.github.io/SuperNOVAS/

Its second release (v1.0.1) just got published some two weeks ago. (Yay!)

Next I would like to package it for Fedora, not the least because the Debian
folks have expressed interest -- which is all great, but I myself have been a
Fedora / RedHatter since '97, so I'd look forward to a Fedora package ever more
so. I am hoping to find a sponsor too. If I understand correctly that's a
separate step from the self intro here, but if you would want to help guide me
anyway, I'd very much welcome it any time.

I look forward to working with you and learning from you.

cheers,

-- Attila.