On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 4:34 AM Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On 6/4/24 5:39 AM, Ian Laurie via devel wrote:
> >>
> >> GNOME has a fallback mechanism where it automatically runs the X.org
> >> session if the Wayland session doesn't work. I believe that is active
> >> on the live image. Of course, as telemetry is evil, we have absolutely
> >> no idea how many Fedora users actually hit this mechanism.
> >
> > One comment I would make is that VirtualBox doesn't *properly* support
> > Wayland [yet] requiring GNOME to be run as an Xorg session (of course
> > not an issue for Xfce etc).
>
> I'm a bit surprised by this. I use VirtualBox both as host under a GNOME
> wayland session and the guests inside that VirtualBox host also use
> Wayland.
>
> The only feature which I'm aware of which does not work is the mode
> where only the guest windows are shown. Everything else works fine.
>
> What exactly is not working for you when you run a GNOME Wayland
> session inside a VirtualBox guest ?

There have been significant issues with GNOME and KDE Plasma on
VirtualBox over the past few years. Honestly, we need to start
regularly testing it, because the guest integration is brittle and
nobody notices until it's too late. I personally do testing on VMware
for KDE Plasma because otherwise it'd never get tested and issues
would never get fixed.

The most recent issue is that it's unbearably slow and sometimes
suffers serious graphics corruption unless 3D acceleration is turned
on.