On , Amit Saha <droid...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello:

As an effort to avoid installing the same packages (like latex, emacs,

gnuplot..) everytime I do a fresh install of a Linux distro, I decided

to create a Fedora spin to cater the users who use Linux as their main

workstation to help them in their research.

I see from [1] that a Fedora "Spin for Science" is in the Ideas

section. However, the SciTech mailng list seems deactivated at the

moment and hence I had some discussions on the Release Engineering

mailing list [2].

At this point of time, here is what I have (based on the suggestions

by Bill Nottingham): An updated 'comps-f16-xml.in' whose current

version is at [3] and based on that a possible kickstart script[4].

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech

[2] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2011-June/012301.html

[3] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/comps-f16.xml.in

[4] https://bitbucket.org/amitksaha/custom_linux/src/c94686fe43fe/fedora-live-scientific.ks

Cheers,

Amit

Amit, I would be keen to help with this spin. The SciTech SIG seems to be dead making it a little difficult for scientists to find common ground on the project.

Andrew