On Tue, 21.06.11 01:07, Reindl Harald (h.rei...@thelounge.net) wrote:

> Am 21.06.2011 00:58, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> > Well, if you use .socket units, then you need to shut them down too, if
> > you want to be sure a service is never triggered due to socket
> > activation
>
> well - if you really like to make this useable systemd
> should be smart enough to do this since it is simply
> clear that a sysadmin which types "systemctl stop mysqld"
> does not want fired up until he says so

On F15, an admin who types "systemctl stop mysqld.service" will get just
that, since socket activation is not used.

> before:
> service mysld stop
>
> now:
> systemctl stop mysqld.service
> systemctl stop mysqld.socket

No, on F15 mysql does not support socket activation, and the first line
will suffice.

Also note, that even if one day mysqld learns socket activation you can
shut down both the socket and the service in one command, as "systemctl
stop" can take an arbitrary number of unit names in one go.

> > Note that to my knowledge mysql is not patched for socket activation,
> > and hence cannot be used with .socket units.
>
> in other words: you will tell me it is not possible to run mysql-driven
> servcies
> with F15/systemd while you want to call the release "not broken"?

No. I am not saying this at all.

The ordering information in the MySQL init script (or other init scrpts
depending on mysql) should be sufficient to make sure it runs in the
right order. And if that is not the case then it should be fixed in the
MySQL init script header (resp other init scripts depending on
it). These fixes should be simple, and can be done as bugfixes for
F15. It's just a matter of finding theses problems if they exist and
filing a bug against the respective package.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.