Le Lun 3 octobre 2011 18:56, Adam Jackson a écrit :

> More to the point, your DPI numbers would be per-output anyway, so
> there's no picking a single point size preference, the same size in
> pixels would be different sizes in millimeters on each output.

So what? Yes dpi needs to be per-output

I've seen extended desktops (fixed screens + laptop screens) where forcing the
same pixel adjustment on both screens resulted in very unpleasant lens-like
effect when moving a window from one screen to another. On one screen the text
was too big, on the other way too small

And this is going to get worse with fixed-size laptop screens that try to
squeeze HD video resolutions for marketing reasons, and fixed screens that try
to pretend they are TVs and extend way past their own pixel resolution.

Hardcoding 96 dpi does not fix anything, it just exchanges the (solvable)
hardware detection support problem (which is not the DE problem anyway, at
most the DE should provide a 'I've broken hardware, override detection'
switch), with (unsolvable) font size coherence problems. Right now *no*
non-gnome3 app will agree with gnome font sizes. Even on single-screen systems
with good edid. This is not user-friendly at all.

--
Nicolas Mailhot