On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 17:27 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 04:48:11PM +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A daft question perhaps, but I thought...
> >
> > > I'm not sure how we can make DPI magically be correct in gazillions of
> > > broken displays' EDID.
> >
> > How do other OS' do it?
>
> Apple manage by virtue of most of their customers using their monitors.
> Windows doesn't appear to be DPI-sensitive.

There's a fairly well-hidden setting in Windows' display config settings
somewhere (depends on the exact version of Windows in use) which lets
you pick between three hard-coded DPI settings (96, 120 or 150 or so,
IIRC) or - again, I think it depends on the Windows version in use -
specify a DPI value.

I don't believe Windows ever pays attention to the display's
EDID-reported DPI.

As another poster in this thread has noted, this (Windows' hard-coded
96dpi default) has probably had a very significant impact on the market
availability of displays with DPIs significantly above 96. You cannot,
for instance, buy a 20" 1920x1080 monitor on the mass market, though
there's no plausible technical reason why not. Another data point is
that, when the Sony Vaio P (which has a 221 DPI display) came out, most
of the reviews complained that the fonts in Windows were far too
small...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey