On 10/03/2011 06:33 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 10/3/11 5:13 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 04:11:28PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>>> testing something more real-world (20T ... 500T?) might still be
>>> interesting.
>>
>> Here's my test script:
>>
>>    qemu-img create -f qcow2 test1.img 500T&&  \
>>      guestfish -a test1.img \
>>        memsize 4096 : run : \
>>        part-disk /dev/vda gpt : mkfs ext4 /dev/vda1
>>
>> At 100T it doesn't run out of memory, but the man behind the curtain
>> starts to show.  The underlying qcow2 file grows to several gigs and I
>> had to kill it.  I need to play with the lazy init features of ext4.
>>
>> Rich.
>>

> Bleah.  Care to use xfs? ;)

WHy not btrfs? I am testing a 24TB physical server and ext4 creation
took forever while btrfs was almost instant. I understand it's still
experimental (I hear storing virtual disk images on btrfs still has
unresolved performance problems) but vm disk storage should be fine.
FWIW I have been using btrfs as my /home at home for some time now;
so far so good.