On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, Alex Dalitz wrote:

(CC:ed Fedora-devel, we're trying to figure out the ruby bug with %3d ri-doc
names)

>> I tried using yours and i had to make some xoes for it to build.
>> It used "ruby-gems" instead of "rubygems". The was a "=" -> "=3D"
>> caused by one of our mail agents. then it tried something odd
>> with a spec file template I commented out. The resulting build
>> worked and had the identical issues, eg:
>>
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/dnsruby-1.53/ri/Dnsruby/Resolver/packet_timeout%3d-i.yaml
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/dnsruby-1.53/ri/Dnsruby/Resolver/persistent_tcp%3d-i.yaml
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/dnsruby-1.53/ri/Dnsruby/Resolver/persistent_udp%3d-i.yaml
>> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/doc/dnsruby-1.53/ri/Dnsruby/Resolver/port%3d-i.yaml
>
> This is odd.
>
> The %3d characters in the filenames are because the Ruby setter methods are
> named "<variable_name>=" - this is a common pattern across all Ruby code. The
> filenames are generated by the rdoc tool - nothing to do with dnsruby or its
> packaging. This leads me to believe that all Ruby gems packaged as rpms would
> have this same problem - and yet this is surely not the case?

right, though checking on mine, there is actually one other one:

$ find /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/ |grep 3d |grep -v Dnsruby
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc/pg-0.11.0/ri/PGconn/internal_encoding%3d-i.yaml

> As a workaround, I suppose it's worth mentioning that the doc folder could
> simply be removed from the gem installation. That would then give an rpm with
> the Ruby code, but without access to the ri documentation system. Does this
> also contravene rpm guidelines?

I talked about that, and was told they preferred the broken filenames
over not having anything. Which is why it ended up packaged with these
mistakes in fedora.

Paul