> Is there any information about when this [%{?_isa}] should be used?  I don't
> think I've ever written a spec file that uses it.

*EACH* dependency (*EVERY SINGLE ONE*) should use %{_isa}
unless you are in .noarch land, or unless you will be happy
with any compatible architecture [and this is unlikely
given the frequent cases of un-synchronized mirrors, maintainers
who update branches and rawhide separately, mistakes in
ABI changes, etc.]

This is a ridiculous default.  The 3 most common hardware families
all have "compat" architectures which are incompatible in such usage:
   i686 and x86_64
   ppc and ppc64
   armhfp and armv5tel

yum (and/or rpm) should *help* the packager take care of the
99% usual case, instead of laying a trap.  The multilib feature
simply didn't think hard enough about the horrendous Usability
problems that multilib creates for packagers and sysadmins
(anyone who updates using the mirror system.)