Am 06.04.2012 20:50, schrieb Chris Murphy:

>>> temporarily store almost arbitrarily huge amounts of data, instead of
>>> storing them in memory.
>> This is the key overlooked fact.
>
> What happens to /tmp on tmpfs when real memory and swap are completely
> consumed? I think the key overlooked fact is the possibility some application
> asks for a lot more /tmp space than is ever reserved for swap. Example:
>
> I'd expect Brisera to produce an ~9GB temp file when burning a fully consumed
> dual-layer DVD. Incorrect assumption? Minimum requirements for Fedora 16,
> 1152MB RAM. That translates into what default for swap space? Is this at
> least 4GB, or whatever the minimum amount of swap needed for tmpfs when full
> to overflow to?
>
> Does anyone know what the behavior of Scribus, GIMP, Cinelerra, etc. are when
> it comes to temp space requirements? I could see GIMP arbitrarily want
> multiple gigabytes of space, well beyond physical RAM plus that reserved for
> swap space.

the developers of this "feature" try to explain us that applications
should stop using /tmp and put their stuff in /var/tmp to make the
"feature" possible

as longer i think about the idea having /tmp in memory as default
as lesser sense this idea is making for me

however, as long my enry in /etc/fstab is honored all the users
with default setups does not bother me, but that does not
make things better for the overall quality of the distribution