On 05/24/2012 03:20 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

> Since I'm putting an SSD in my laptop this is important because the laptop
> drive must be encrypted.

I hope your CPU has AES-NI.
A powerful i7 does AES at 50MiB/s (don't remember exactly, but below 100MiB/s)
without AES-NI and about 900MiB/s with AES-NI.
SSDs speed is usually around 250MiB/s, so AES-NI is required to maintain speed.

Additional hint: I would avoid xts modes, as the speed is halved (450MiB/s)
for not really convincing security reasons.

I'm running AES with NI on a SSD and the CPUs are almost undisturbed by disk
activities.

Cipher name:    aes
Cipher mode:    cbc-essiv:sha256
Hash spec:      sha256