On 18.06.2012 12:10, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:07:08PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 02:10:32AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 06:49:43PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

You're asserting that dbus-daemon etc cannot be restarted, but without
saying why.

Because designing an asynchronous messaging bus that can be restarted
without losing any messages is a difficult problem.

If only Red Hat was involved in writing one ...

Oh wait, what's this?  https://qpid.apache.org/

Unless, you can change d-bus to do this while retaining the features, it
isn't very relevant to the discussion.

What we shouldn't do is break things further by making almost all
updates require a reboot.

I believe there is or was an effort to replace dbus by something
AMQP-based.  However I can't find that right now.

Probably it is doable on top of ZeroMQ too (+ few bits sqlite around the restarts) and IMO zmq is relatively closer to dbus compared to AMQP.

But it is possible to rework dbus in any of these ways (inject persistence, adopting different messaging core) in the F18 timeframe? May be we should look at the proposed feature as unfortunate temporary workaround for the problem introduced by accident in the past, which should be properly addressed for F19.

As I understand the proposal, the necessary workaround only affects the desktop instances and specifically Gnome ones - I am under the impression that my servers will continue to be updated by the normal way.

Kind regards,
Alek