On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> and i am doing "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages" or whatever
> logfle i want to watch since years because i want to see what
> happened before, can scroll up and watch what is going on

This will work *right now* with journald, with almost identical semantics:

 journalctl  -n500 -f

(No space allowed after then -n.)

> the same works for "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages | grep whatever"
> for me i prcatically NEVER use any pager!

There's a bug with that right now, but theoretically should work. You can
also use journalctl's built-in filtering, which does matches on fields.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mat...@fedoraproject.org>