On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:53:10PM +0100, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> On 11/12/2012 08:53 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 09:53:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >>I really don't understand why a core system component such as firewalld is
> >>implemented in Python!
> >
> >Here, I mostly don't see the reason for it to be running all the time.
> >Couldn't it be dbus activated, and then go away when it's not needed? Then,
> >it would matter less what it was written in.
> >
> It would loose internal state if it would be D-BUS activated.

Surely it could persist it somewhere?

However I doubt that changing firewalld to be dbus activated would
make any actual difference to memory usage.  We do have a thing called
swap ...  The reason I object to firewalld being written in Python are
the excessive dependencies this adds for a component that should be
included in a minimal/core set of packages.

OCaml, you see ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/