Le jeudi 15 novembre 2012 à 09:06 -0800, Adam Williamson a écrit :
> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 14:48 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > > Not really. For example, ubuntu use ufw, mandriva used shorewall. Debian
> > > offered several frontend, but IIRC, didn't use one by default
> >
> > and they ALL using iptables/netfilter
> >
> > so if you write a iptables.sh you get it run on ANY distribution
> > and that was the point
>
> Right. I hate to say it, but Harald is correct here: AFAIK, all those
> and other firewall configuration mechanisms were ultimately just
> UI/abstraction layers wrapped around iptables. They wrote iptables
> rules. firewalld is very different.

Usually, if you use shorewall, nuface, ufw, etc and iptables side by
side, there is inconsistency.

As long iptables exist, you will have to do the exact same thing :
- disable the firewall of the distribution ( which is already a non
portable part of the installation )
- run either :
 - a script with lots of iptables calls ( quite awful, slow and
unauditable in practice as Reindl explained in another mail, and as I
too often seen at customers deployment )
 - a script that run 1 command, iptables-restore < file. Which is
equally as awful and unauditable, but faster.

I do not see what firewalld would change to that. Disable it, run what
you want instead.

The only issue is always the same, if you want to run 2 systems side by
side, you have to make work to integrate them. For example, shorewall
will set the default policy for a table, create new one, flush the
current one, etc. So as a sane iptables scripts will do the same, you
cannot run them one after the other and expect things to work smoothly.

And for firewalld, the problem is that firewalld do stuff that a simple
script cannot, namely offering a dbus interface, and so the script
cannot simply replace firewalld ( and never will ). Previous systems
were simple enough that you could just remove them and do the work by
hand. Firewalld provides more and if applications do not cope with non
existant firewalld, then this will be bad.

However, I do not expect having a hard dependency on it for a few years,
since this would mean that such applications no longer work on
distribution that do not ship firewalld ( like for example current
version of RHEL ).

--
Michael Scherer