On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:11 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
As the Feature was renamed and the content of Feature has been extended
as requested by FESCo, re-announcing it to the community for re-review.

See https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/986

= Features/Fix Network Name Resolution =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FixNetworkNameResolution

* Detailed description
Currently the getaddrinfo() function doesn't work as it was desinged.
Many of its features are buggy and cannot be used without extensive
workarounds. Many software packages are using getaddrinfo() with such
workarounds. Many can trigger its failures. And many packages that don't
use getaddrinfo() will be ported in the near future.

One feature I would like to see added to future glibc, is a fully asynchronous version of getaddrinfo, and also getnameinfo.

Asynchronous for non filesystem fds at least.

The glibc maintainers don't seem to be against this idea and I am willing to put time into design and implementation.

I have a number of high level ideas for this project that I would like to have documented as starting points. I am not a fedora community member, so someone will need to help me raise bugzillas and paste my notes on the wiki.

  Nick