On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 08:56 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:14:28PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > (As a side note, I would like to avoid describing fedup as 'officially
> > supported' and describe it instead as 'officially recommended' - it's an
> > important semantic difference, I think.)
>
> Because we don't "officially support" anything, or because it has lesser
> status than, say, doing a fresh install and preserving home?

Because we don't 'officially support' anything, correct. When someone
files a bug on upgrade our usual response is not to fix it immediately
and try to help them recover their borked system, our usual response
tends to be to file it in the same place as Arthur Dent's local council
filed their bypass designs...

being less flippant, it's really just that upgrade is inherently an
operation that a project like Fedora can't really 'support'. It's always
going to be best effort and it's probably going to break for some
people. 'Recommend' just seems like a better verb. I would suggest this,
frankly, whatever the method in question is.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey