Jochen Schmitt writes:

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 01:21:23PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> nothing would happen on a webserver with httpd if it would not be
> restarted at package-update which goes wrong if you are using PHP
> and packages of the dep-tree are not yet all updated which fails
> PHP to load, without the hardcoded restart httpd would happily
> continue to run with the old php-package from memory

Question: Does it makes sense to collect all services which should
be restarted during the update process and restart the services after
all packages was updated?

I've been doing updates via yum update forever. I never had any problems. This looks like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

But if this indeed an issue, the package should take care of by itself, using its own scripts. There is even a documented way for a package to stop its services, before it gets updated, and restart it, after the update, see /var/lib/rpm-state