On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 19:17 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On May 17, 2013 6:43 AM, "Chris Adams" <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:
> > Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerq...@0pointer.de> said:
> > > I also filed this bug against anaconda, so that for the non-livecd
> > > installs we don't even get dmraid installed...
> >
> > I know there's always a goal of shrinking the base install, but I'm
> > afraid we're going overboard.  One nice thing about Linux vs.
> Windows
> > has always been how easy it is to move an install from one physical
> > system to another (install in one and move the hard drive, system
> dies
> > but drive is okay so you replace mboard, etc.).
> >
> > By cutting out all the hardware support except for what is in the
> system
> > at install, it becomes more difficult (like Windows) to deal with
> any
> > problems, hardware upgrades, etc. down the road.
>
> How does this change affect that?  If you slap a disk into another
> machine it's not going to magically start using RAID...

You could transfer the install to a system which contains a dmraid
array, or add a dmraid array to an existing install (I think this thread
has been considering only the case of the installed system itself being
on the RAID array). Of course, the case where the installed system is
not on the RAID array is much less 'urgent' - your system doesn't stop
working, you just have to figure out you need to enable the service /
install the tool in order to see the array.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey