On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> *It is not possible to convert the packages technically nor
> philosophically*
>
> You might think million times that the sentence is not truth, but that is
> as it is. I'll give you several examples:
>
> * Gems cannot express dependencies on system libraries such sqlite3,
> libxml2, etc.

Doesn't matter for the system administrator who has already installed the
gem.

> * Gems does not undergoing legal review, i.e. you have to trust to the
> author of the gem, that the license is correct, which sadly may not true.

Doesn't matter for the system administrator who has already installed the
gem.

> * Bundling, quite common phenomenon.

Doesn't matter for the system administrator who has already installed the
gem.

Just this short list of issues should be enough. It might work for you,
> when you decide to neglect all the issue mentioned above and probably
> several else, but it does not work for distribution. Sorry.

I don't think this is necessarily targeted at changing how _Fedora_
distributes things; just giving system administrators a single command that
works on an installed system might be an useful improvement.
    Mirek