On 23 May 2013, at 01:27, Björn Persson wrote:

Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 02:20 +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
Thinking about it, the terminology adopted by "comps" is clearer
and provides a generalization of this -- if someone select something
they get:
 - Mandatory packages (cannot be deselected)
 - Default packages (selected, but the user may deselect)
 - Optional packages (deselected, but the user may select)

Borrowing similar logic for rpm we could have in the spec file:
  Name: acme
  Requires: foo, foo-utils
  InstallDefault: bar, perl-bar, python-bar
  InstallOptional: baz, baz-ldap

Now it would be classic to use "--with/--without" as command line flags,
but it's already taken :-(

I'm pretty sure that's precisely the distinction expressed by Suggests
and Recommends, FWIW.

For interactive operations that's how I envision it, yes. When yum
lists the packages it's going to install and asks for confirmation, it
would list recommended packages and their requirements under
"Installing because of recommendations", and suggested packages under
"Suggested packages not being installed". The user can then choose to
abort the operation and run the command again, adding some suggested
packages to the command line or using --exclude on some of the
recommended ones.

Because this is an interactive operation, rather than aborting, why not change "(y/N)" to "(y/N/m)". If the user chooses "m" for modify, then yum could ask whether the user wanted to delete a recommended package and, if response is "y", show the recommended packages one line at a time for a "y" or "n" response. Then yum could ask whether the user wanted to add a suggested package and, if response is "y", show the suggested packages one line at a time for a "y" or "n" response. Dealing with the modifications interactively would be less annoying than aborting and typing a new yum command full of -- excludes or additional package names.

--
Mike