On 05/29/2013 11:06 PM, James Antill wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 20:33 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

I did some tests and cold cache performance tests on an old Debian
installation.  Performance with cold caches is more than adequate.
Full-text searches take about two seconds.  Package installation reaches
the confirmation prompt (after dependency resolution) in less than three
seconds, even for ridiculously complex tasks such as installing the
entire KDE desktop (365 additional packages on my test system).

In contrast, on Fedora or RHEL systems, 30 seconds for dependency
resolution with a cold cache are common, plus around 6 seconds for
I/O than it does non Debian (about ten times as much, as reflected in
the wall clock time).

  Yeh, it's almost like yum is dealing with more data:

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/apt2yum#Generalpoints

Are the yum numbers current? I don't think filelists are processed by current yum if that can be avoided.

Anyway, let's hope that DNF will make all that history. 8-)