On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 08:09:19PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 16.07.13 12:49, Andrew McNabb (amcn...@mcnabbs.org) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 01:56:44AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > >
> > > We didn't override LESS initially, but we got bugs about that, and after
> > > a while of forth and back we followed again what git does here and
> > > override it. You find the discussions in bugzilla.
> >
> > How do you turn this off?  Overriding user configuration can be
> > extremely annoying to users, but if there's an easy well-documented way
> > to turn off overriding, it's easier to deal with.
>
> Set $SYSTEMD_PAGE to the pager of your choice along with any command
> line arguments you like.

The way git does it is to only set the LESS environment variable if it's
not set.  If the LESS environment variable is set, then git doesn't
touch it.  This seems like a nice balanced way to approach the
situation, and it would be wonderful if systemd/journalctl did the same
thing as git.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/