On Wed, 17.07.13 11:37, Bill Nottingham (nott...@redhat.com) wrote:

> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbys...@in.waw.pl) said:
> > Compiling journalctl on UINXy OSes should not be too much of a problem.
> > You'd need dbus >= 1.4.0, libcap, liblzma (if used by the journal files
> > in question). Not trivial but certainly doable.
>
> Other than 'because the same command as it stands now talks to journald
> itself', why would a reader for other OSes require dbus and libcap?
>
> (i.e., if you're targeting a foreign reader, I think it should be simpler.)

journalctl doesn't need libdbus either, it doesn't link to
it. journalctl in fact never communicates with journald via IPC. It
accesses the files directly. This means you can share a journal file
over NFS or so, and have journald running on one host and journalctl on
the other, and things will just work, as no other communication is
necessary beyond the FS itself.

The lzma and libcgrypt deps are optional deps. lzma is really useful as
without it you couldn't read journal files that contain coimpressed
objects, however, gcrypt matters only if you want to use FSS.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.