On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 10:56 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 18.7.2013 10:42, Mathieu Bridon napsal(a):

> >> So why there are files in /var/log and there is not obvious package,
> >> which creates them (unless you want to guess by name)? Shouldn't all
> >> package, which creates log in /var/log have some virtual provide to make
> >> it obvious? Why not do it properly/consistently?
> > Why a virtual provides, can't they just %ghost their log files?
> >

> That would be the best of course, unfortunately:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#File_Dependencies
>
> But may be YUM/DNF can be improved in this area

Right, but that's only if you need to express a file requirement.

Your point above was that every package which drops a file in /var/log
(e.g httpd) should have virtual-provides for them.

But I don't think there's ever any reason to require the
file /var/log/https/error_log

On the other hand, Lennart's original mail above was about syslog
implementations, not "all package, which creates log in /var/log".

--
Mathieu