Le samedi 27 juillet 2013 à 12:54 +0200, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> Am 27.07.2013 12:45, schrieb drago01:
> > On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Nicolas Mailhot
> >>
> >> Where are the facts backing this assertion?
> >
> > Common sense ...
>
> so i am maintaing more than 20 fedora machines and i am
> happy about this mails from my *first day* with Fedora
> many years ago

Sure, so that's 1 person. No, find just a bit more and we will start to
be able to have proper data instead of anecdote.

I can tell that most of the non technical users ( around 40 in my
office, but I have no reason to believe the 1960 in others offices are
different on that part ) using linux desktop at work ask me why they
receive mail everyday speaking of the backup system not being configured
( and so mailling them to enable it ). Most have no idea why they
receive mail from the computer, because for most of them, this is
something they never faced. ( and we are speaking of corporate mail, so
i can only imagine for the personal mail ).

A notification that come on your desktop is something people can
understand and a little bit more familiar to them .

A mail sent by your computer to say something on a regular basis is not,
except for technical person like you and me ( and usually, when I
receive mail from cron, they are obscure and useless and due to some
failure, so I think people writing cron job do not care that much to
help me seeing what is is wrong ).

> so which "commons sense" is more woth?
> yours or mine?
>
> > where are the facts backing up the opposite?
>
> nobody needs to backing up the opposite!
>
> if somebody comes up and and declares long existing
> things as noise and wants to deprecate them he is
> the one who has to bring facts

cron output is usually not translated ( cause it is well know that every
admin speak english, why should we take care of that ), and that's
already a problem.

A mail do not permit a good interaction ( like "click here to configure
stuff that you should configure" ) while a notification permit that ( at
least on a desktop ).

There is no rate limitation for cronjob output. Usually, no need to send
me 100 mails about "job error, no disk space", I got the message on the
first mail, the 99th are just useless spam that also contribute to the
problem.

AFAIK, you cannot easily ( ie, without being minimaly command line savy
) opt out of the mail notification, except by filtering that on your
mail, which is not something all users know how to do ( but receiving
mail they do not want is something they do not want, and I even got a
server ending in a blacklist of yahoo because I think one user ended to
filter the mail from cron he received on a server ).

For a desktop use case with a single user, that's already enough reasons
to use something else. For a desktop with more than 1 user, the issue
are the same, except that now, someone has to configure the email of
every user in /etc/aliases, thus needing more than a anaconda patch.

And for servers, having 2 ways to get logs of what is running is just
asking for more work than needed. When you setup something to aggregate
the log ( splunk, central syslog ), there is no need to have a second
system that send a different type of log on a different way, just
because "this was done like this before". 2 systems, twice the risk of
failing, twice the work to setup, and of course, they do not match on
feature.

Anyway, I think I contributed enough to this thread, so I will stop
here.
--
Michael Scherer