On 23 August 2013 14:06, Rich Mattes <richmat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Frankly I'm still of the opinion the Oracle distribution of the MySQL
>> based server should be dropped entirely... If Oracle want 'community-mysql'
>> to exist for Fedora and want to maintain it themselves then they can set up
>> their own repositories on their own infrastructure and these
>> compatibilities issues with Fedora can be removed entirely as a result.
>>

> If someone (Oracle-employee or not) is willing to go through the trouble
> of learning the packaging guidelines, submitting and working through a
> review, getting sponsored, and getting a package into the distribution,
> what basis does anyone have to block that effort?  We have packaging
> guidelines for inter-package conflicts, and those issues must be resolved
> as part of the package review anyway.  The idea that we can single out an
> organization or a software package and say "You can't put this in Fedora,"
> in spite of the fact that the package in question can made to abide by all
> of Fedora's guidelines and policies (albeit with a little bit of work and
> collaboration,) seems contradict the "Friends" and "Features" foundations.
>
> If what they're doing becomes actively harmful to the distribution, then
> we can take it up with FESCo.  Otherwise, I think we have to treat them
> like any other community member regardless of our feelings about their
> employer.

I agree overall which is why I suggest the official orphaning of
community-mysql ... it only seems like it will be a pain to keep both that
and MariaDB for the existing maintainers.

If another party (whether it be corporate sponsorship via Oracle or a
random individual) wants to pick up the pain of community-mysql packaging
adhering to the Fedora Packaging Guidelines then good for them but the
reasons for switching to MariaDB in the beginning during the F19 release
was down to lack of transparency (eg test cases and security notices) from
upstream...

>From the first date Honza announced the intended feature we heard a lot of
promises from Oracle about how they would act with stewardship but words
are cheap - so far in all this time there's been little of any actual
substance.

After many weeks (two or three months maybe?) of waiting Bjorn announced
himself as the maintainer of MySQL without apparently any communication
with the existing maintainers first - at least Honza stated "I'm really
glad to see some real action from your part finally"

http://mm3test.fedoraproject.org/hyperkitty/list/de...@mm3test.fedoraproject.org/thread/LWB37ALUAM5PLXGTQLVQBRAHPQPXLWKE/

If they do manage to comply with FPG and have a proper RPM and act the part
of "Friends" (as the reminder had to go last time) then fantastic... but
there really has been little if any evidence of that so far - all the way
since the Sun purchase in fact.