On 13.09.2013 11:48, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:54:49 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

On 09/12/2013 10:40 PM, Sandro Mani wrote:

I just posted a review for avl (the Aerodynamic and flight-dynamic
analysis of rigid aircrafts package) [1], and the reviewer noticed that
it conflicts with the retired avl package (the AVL tree manipulation
library). How should one proceed in such situations? Does the old
repository needs to be deleted before the new one is created?
Please do not reuse package names for unrelated software.  It is quite
confusing and can interfere with all kinds of tracking/package mapping
efforts.
That could be documented.

It would be wrong for an old retired (!) "avl" to block that component
name forever. What if that project has been abandoned or renamed?

I can't reach the old  git.fruit.je/avl  currently, but the README in the
old F14 package calls it "AVLTREE", "AVLTree" and "AVL-Tree library",
and the Fedora src.rpm uses the libavl source tarball from Debian.

  => It could (should?) have been named "libavl" or "avltree".
I would definitely prefer this option. Should I file a rel-eng ticket or what would the procedure be?