On Sep 23, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Gene Czarcinski <g...@czarc.net> wrote:

> How about the reuse of btrfs subvolumes?

It is possible to reuse btrfs subvolumes for mount points other than root. Root
requires a new subvolume.

> It seems to me that the only way to do that is to delete the subvolume and
> then reallocate it which is precisely what I do in my KVM kickstart installs.
>  I first bootup in rescue mode and delete the old root subvolume and then
> reboot to do the install.  I probably need to figure out out a pre-install
> script which will do that.

No need to delete the previous subvolume unless you want to delete the
installation contained on it.

> Is this worth an RFE?  I am thinking of an RFE for kickstart.   I assume (I
> have not tried it) that I can reuse an subvolume by first deleting and
> "reclaiming" the space from a regular install.

Reuse is inconsistent with delete, but yes you can't reuse an existing
subvolume for rootfs for a new install.

Chris Murphy