On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:40:28 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Ever since I've joined,
> which is ohgod nearly five years ago now, the split has seemed
> reasonably clear and non-controversial, and I really can't recall anyone
> being particularly confused about it, so perhaps this is a problem which
> is still current in your mind but obsolete in cold unfeeling reality? :)

This is no real basis for trying to improve anything. I'm not here to fight
for anything. If you put it as if I'm the only one, who thinks that the
many lists and their purpose is confusing, well, then let's stop.

To have two lists about Rawhide (even for the build reports) is the most
fundamental mistake already.

> I think we wind up with more posts that we think would be appropriate
> for users@ than devel@.
>
> To me, at least, test@ has a very clear and specific purpose which is
> quite different from devel@,

So "very clear" that "qa-devel" has been split off early this year, after
the Fedora QA trac notifications had caused a flood of posts to "test" list.

> and I'd fight with tooth and claw any
> proposal to 'merge' them. Merging them would be a flat-out disaster for
> QA work: we have a different atmosphere and much lower traffic on test@,
> if all our useful and productive QA mails got drowned in the devel@
> noise it would have a significant negative impact on our ability to do
> useful stuff.

Moving all Rawhide topics, build failures, build report, package version
upgrade annoucements, ABI breakage announcements, Branched report, Rawhide
report, from devel to test list would be the way to go.