On Jan 6, 2014, at 12:38 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 January 2014 18:12, Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net> wrote:
> > the ordianry user - i doubt
>
> The "ordinary user" won't do "yum erase kernel" either, so that's moot.
> The rescue kernel is another option, right there on the boot menu; if
> you actually removed all running kernels, it would be the _only_ Fedora
> option (and the only option at all on a system without multiple OSes
> installed, so booted by default).
>

> Law of Out of Date Technical Support:
>
> If an expert says "no ordinary user" would ever do a command, they have not
> worked front line Tech Support recently enough.

Sure. But I don't know how much hand holding with the CLI is practical and
necessary. I can't tell you how many times I've done wipefs -a /dev/sdb, when I
meant wipefs -a /dev/sdc because the f'n node ordering changed the drives
around. I don't expect to be hand held through that, I mean what could even be
done?

mkfs.xfs has had (and mkfs.btrfs now also has) a -f flag that's required to
format over an existing volume. That's saved me a few times. However, now that
I'm used to it, I bet it won't anymore because I'm already just including -f as
second nature. *shrug*

Since "* remove kernel" appears to be inspecific, removing all kernels isn't
what I'd expect. It's not how mv or cp or anything else would work.

> Ordinary people in the past have done this, and ordinary people in the future
> will do this. And it will be the same old tech support nightmare of handling
> it which will lead to eventually someone implementing a "Do you really want
> to do that" kind of fix. Since I routinely have to help people who do this I
> expect that it will be enough of an issue for Red Hat eventually to put in
> the extra logic again as it is expensive to deal with.

Good point. Anything that becomes common and expensive needs a fix when the fix
is much cheaper.

Chris Murphy