On 19 Nov 2013, at 9:51 pm, Daniel P. Berrange <berra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 10:22:42AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Several packages are using git for patch management.  eg:
>>
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/erlang.git/tree/erlang.spec#n46
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/tree/libguestfs.spec?h=f20#n22
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/qemu.git/tree/
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ocaml.git/tree/ocaml.spec#n16
>>
>> Some of these packages have invented home-brewed methods to generate
>> the Patch lines in the spec file, eg:
>>
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/erlang.git/tree/otp-get-patches.sh
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/tree/copy-patches.sh?h=f20
>>
>> More importantly, all are using random git repositories to store the
>> exploded tree.  This makes it difficult for co-maintainers and proven
>> packagers to fit in with the patch management chosen by the
>> maintainer.  Usually they won't have access to the git repository for
>> these patches, making it difficult to add patches and near impossible
>> to upgrade to a new version.
>
> Yep, I've done the same thing for all the packages I maintain in Fedora
> and RHEL too. It makes maintaining RPMs soo much easier, particularly
> when you have lots of patches to manage. The script I use is
>
>  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libvirt-sandbox.git/tree/update-patches.pl

For what its worth, here is the one I use for pacemaker in rhel:

   https://gist.github.com/beekhof/8677396

It both helps maintain a git repo of patches and to reconcile that repo with
patches in the spec file (both built patches git doesn't know about yet and
patches in git that aren't being built yet).
As well as asking for bugzilla numbers when updating the spec file ;-)