On 02/04/2014 10:39 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:16:16PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
If we decide the alternative desktops are a valuable part of Fedora -
which seems to be a popular opinion - how do we fit them into a
Product-based conception of Fedora?

We can have a KDE Product, and an Xfce Product, and an LXDE Product,
but...at that point haven't we just re-invented spins? It doesn't seem
to quite work with the Product conception.
I would like to see Products defined by the problem space that they are
aimed at rather than the technology they're based on. That is, a "Fedora
Scientific Desktop" is a lot more compelling to me than "Fedora KDE" -- at
least as a product. But I don't think there's anything wrong with Fedora KDE
as either a spin or something else.

For that matter, there could be a "Fedora GNOME" spin distinct from the
Fedora Workstation product, if there were people really keen to work on it,
perhap as a showcase of upstream technology without worrying about the
concerns of the Fedora Workstation WG's particular area of focus. (With
"people keen to work on it" as the really key phrase.)

But you cannot overlap products as in you cannot have a "Gnome workstation and "KDE workstation" etc you cannot have an "Server" product outside what is already defined in the ServerWG nor a "Cloud" product outside what is already defined there.

Basically what's happening here is that "default" is being applied to now three spaces which filled with Red Hat products and elevated above community contribution just like Gnome was put above all community contributions as an "Default".

Do people truly really want us to move forward with this discrimination between contributions to the project?

JBG