On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 11:49:06AM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> What failed?  I'm guessing that userspace improvements since then have
> mostly fixed this.  I've never seen any problem on F18 (IIRC) and up
> with GPT partition tables being BIOS-booted.  It seems to Just Work
> (tm).

Some firmware sees a GPT label and refuses to even attempt a BIOS boot.
We tried this back in F16, tried further by violating the spec as it
stood at the time and marking the protective MBR bootable and discovered
that there are still systems where this just doesn't work.

> Also, isn't this already sort of necessary on large disks?

There's not really anything else we can do in that case, so we make a
best effort and if it doesn't work then, well.

--
Matthew Garrett | mj...@srcf.ucam.org